Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Young Adult Fiction

I went over to work this afternoon to pull some books for a patron who asked me about American Indian fiction for young adults. After going through the lists in my files, I came up with a fairly small number of recommended books. If it were picture books, I would have had half a cart instead of such a little stack. The push for multicultural reading in high school curriculum, at its best, skips past young adult literature entirely in favor of Ceremony or Love Medicine (at least in the school in St. Paul where I tutored). I will have to look into this thought more--my initial impression is that it's harder for white researchers to write from the young adult perspective of another culture-it's hard enough to write as an adult in that voice without other differences to consider.
I am hopeful that the success of ...Part-Time Indian will inspire publishers to pursue Native writers for this age group, because otherwise Joseph Bruchac has a near-monopoly and the American Indian characters most teenagers read about will be magical shirtless werewolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment